Wednesday 13 May 2009

Today we sculpted our model in clay instead of drawing her. This was my first time working with clay like this. It started off badly, but finished well. It's funny how much easier I found it to get the proportions correct than when drawing them. I actually wouldn't mind trying wax next time as instead of clay. It's supposed to hold it's form better.

The instructor I have had for these past 3 semesters is amazing. I was watching her working some clay today. She's a petite very slim lady with very strong muscular hands. She called her hands "farmer hands." I have to say though I thought they were more beautiful than any perfectly manicured hand out there. I suppose seeing what they produce leaves me in awe of them.

5 comments:

Bella Rum said...

Clay, huh? It's kind of amazing to watch a lump of clay turn into something recognizable. When I was a kid, I babysat for this couple. The husband was an art teacher and there were several sculptures of naked women in the house that he had done. I recall being very intrigued. Funny.

Kurt said...

I went with my mom to her sculpture class once. This was before she died.

Serena Lewis said...

No pics of your sculpt???

BONNIE K said...

Yeah - I was expecting pix too!

richgold said...

I third that. I'd like to see some of what you're working on too.

I also want to say how I admire you for your work. And how proud I am of you.